InKo Centre, Arts Council Korea (ARKO) and Seoul Art Space Hongeun are delighted to initiate an annual Choreography Residency Programme at the Hongeun Art Space in Seoul, Korea. The search and selection of the Indian artist was co-ordinated by the Attakkalar Centre of Movement Arts, Bangalore. Kathak dancer Archana Kumar has been selected as the choreographer-in-residence at Seoul Art Space Hongeun in Korea from 4 October 2013 to 4 December 2013.
SEOUL ART SPACE HONGEUN
Seoul Art Space Hongeun opened in 2011 and aims to support dancers, choreographers and visual artists. In addition, outreach programmes are regularly conducted in order to communicate with
the local community.
Seoul Art Space_ Hongeun is Seoul’s eleventh creative space built on the site of Western Road Traffic’s previous office. The centre is playing a pivital role as a reputable and specialized dance residency by nurturing, supporting and presenting new choreographers and by supporting collaborative possibilities amongst artists of various dance-related genres. It also serves as a bridge to link dance – which is still a relatively unfamiliar cultural territory - and the public. In addition, the centre has planned and operated a variety of cultural arts programmes in collaboration with local residents and towns in order to build a shared vocabulary and to nurture local cultural communities.
Kathak dancer and choreographer, Archana Kumar will be the choreographer-in- residence at Seoul Art Space Hongeun from 4 October to 4 December 2013. The residency will offer Archana, time, space and resources to develop new work which will be presented at the end of the residency period. The residency will also be an opportunity for Archana to participate in or to lead dance workshops; to interact with dance practitioners and to interact with the local community.
- Bharatanatyam: Guru Sri. Natarajan and Smt. Priyamvada, Dubai (1990-1996)
- Kathak: Natya Institute of Kathak & Choreography and from visiting Gurus, Bangalore/USA (1996-2010)
- Modern Dance techniques: Velocity Dance Center, Seattle, USA (2000-2006)
- Improvisation and Movement Theater: Velocity Dance Center, Seattle, USA (2002-2006)
Notable Contemporary Performances & Collaborations
- Bangalore International School - Adjunct faculty 2013)
- Podar School, Bangalore - Visiting choreographer 2013)
- Natyalaya Dance School, Bangalore - Contemporary dance teacher (2013)
- Nrityadarpan Dance School, Bangalore, India - Kathak teacher (2010-present)
- Poorna Learning Centre, Bangalore, India - Dance Teacher (2011-present)
- Attakkalari Centre For Performance Arts, Bangalore, India - Adjunct faculty (2011)
- Cornish College Of Arts, WA. USA - Adjunct dance dept faculty (2008 & 2010)
- North Western University, IL. USA - Adjunct Faculty and choreographer (2010)
- Manasarovar Kathak, IL. and WA. USA - Kathak instructor (2005-2010)
- Fearless - with the Storm Factory. Bangalore, India (2013)
- The Bubble Pops - Arch Ensemble. Bangalore and Chennai, India (2012)
- M.A.D. Festival - with Sulk Station. Ooty, India (2012)
- Monkey See Monkey Do - solo work at 1 Shanti road. Bangalore, India (2011)
- Asia Meets Asia - collaborative project ‘Unbearable Dreams 6 - HOPE. Tokyo, Japan (2010-2013)
- Dance Works - North Western University. Evanston, USA (2010)
- Mentoring Programme - Shirley-Mordine Dance Co. Chicago, USA (2010)
- When Bubbles Collide - Bangalore, India (2010)
- Fireflies Music Festival - with Lounge Piranha. Bangalore, India (2010)
- No Boundaries - solo work at Dance Bridge. Chicago, USA (2009)
- Beyond the Threshold festival - with Indian contemporary dancer, Astad Deboo. Seattle, USA
- Rumba meets Raga, with Anjuman - Afro-Cuban Hindustani fusion band. Seattle, USA(2008)
Arts Council (ARKO)
Arts Council (ARKO)
Arts Council Korea was established to promote creativity and enjoyment of
the art by supporting diverse arts and cultural activities in Korea. The Council
consists of eleven dedicated professionals of the cultural and art sector in
Korea. The Art Council also places emphasis on the establishment of arts
infrastructure. It facilitates the rise of practice-oriented policy implementation
in line with the increasingly sophisticated cultural environment of Korea.